Tuesday, May 31, 2016

In Praise of a Tiny House



Love grows best in little houses, with fewer walls to separate, Where you eat and sleep so close together, you can't help but communicate. And if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss. Love grows best in houses just like this.

After nearly five years in our current home, we are selling and moving in just, well, today. It still feels very unreal and all the feelings are swirling about within me (excitement, anxiousness, sadness, happiness, etc.) I'm beyond thrilled to be moving to a new home that is going to have a long list of things we've only dreamed about (Central air! More than one bathroom!), a part of my heart will always be in this tiny house and the memories we've had here I will treasure forever.



This house is where I began my stay-at-home mom career (or CEO of domestic affairs as I will refer to it on my resume). I started out having no idea what I was doing. Nearly 5 years later, I can confidently  report that I still have no #$%*ing  idea what I'm doing. But I do know that love doing it and couldn't be more grateful for the experience and time with my little ladies. The memories of my girls here as babies are worth their weight in gold to me.




I will dearly miss our big tree out in the front yard where both girls have swung, higher, higher! It was such a sweet surprise from Joe and over the past three years, it's gotten a whole lot of use!

 



I will remember building fairy gardens, making wonky planters, creating garden beds, and having little dirty hands "helping" with yard work every summer.


I'll remember how I learned to cook a few good meals! In this house, I attempted a variety of recipes (some with more success than others) and ventured beyond making just tacos and spaghetti. (Even though that's not been the case lately, I know I can do it!)


I'll remember and carry on our established traditions such a gingerbread house making every Christmas.



I'll remember how in that really tiny bathroom, I taught a tiny person how to successfully use the potty several years ago which I honestly feel is one of my biggest life accomplishments.


I'll remember big noisy meals at our tiny table as well as the quiet mornings drinking coffee with Joe before the girls woke up in the morning. This picture was taken the day we brought Rosie home from the hospital. We had a nice pre-made meal from Sarah and I think this pic really captures just how tiny, cozy, and special meals can be in a small space.



(So much birthday cake has been baked and eaten in this house!)



I'll remember the girls bedroom as a slightly magical place where they played and slept (sometimes).


I'll remember Cece starting her education while living in this house!


And I'll remember watching the girls learn to sit, crawl, stand, and walk. The big windows is where the girls learned to pull themselves up to standing and, of course, got nose and finger prints everywhere.



I'll remember how there were literally no good backgrounds to take pictures, haha.


Again, limited space has made for some "cozy" situations.

  
And forts are easy to make with such easy access to the dining room chairs!



And I'll remember how our house would burst from the seams with holiday spirit every year because the spirit has literally no where else to go!


If I had to choose one photo that sums up why I've loved this house, it would be this. So many mornings, I've gotten to spend in this sunny living room with a cup of coffee and my ladies, just lounging in our jammies, playing, building, and "arting." I know I will miss these days with all of my heart when they are small and mine and can both fit on my lap and the same time. I'm actually getting teary as I write this, but I want to thank Joe from the bottom of my heart for giving me not only this home, but this life with our family. It has been a beautiful and "cozy" five years and I can't wait to see and share what the future brings for us!


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment