Saturday, June 8, 2013

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes


It probably concerns some people to see the words "fish" and "cake" so close together. Hear me out. The only thing I felt disappointed about was that I didn't make more. Joe ate three patties and was also bummed out that there wasn't any left. And Cece, who has very particular palate, even tried about four bites of an un-spicy cake. In our house, we call that a GREAT SUCCESS. I found the original recipe here. Below is my tweaked version, based on what I had available in our kitchen.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs, (I used Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 table spoons olive oil
  • 1 squirt of Sriracha (however much you can handle, really)

Directions:

1. Place the diced potato into a small pot with salted water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and allow to steam dry for a couple minutes. Mash the potato with a potato masher or fork in a large bowl.
2. Combine the tuna, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper into the mashed potato until well-blended. Divide the tuna mixture into about 6 to 8 equal portions and shape into patties. (Be sure to take off your jewelry first!)
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry the patties until browned and crisp, no longer than 4 minutes on each side. Also, watch out for splattering oil (ouch!). I placed mine on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil before serving. I also served mine over a bed of greens dressed with oil and vinegar and squeezed some lemon over the whole thing.
I'm serious. Don't love it 'til you try it!

 
By the way, did I mention that I have a food stylist? Well, I do. No big deal. And she knows how to create the perfect dollop of mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment